Pages

Aug 23, 2010

How Old Am I?

Saturday I was mowing the lawn, merrily mowing away to a soundtrack of random music provided by my trusty mP3 player. Our neighbors who are here maybe two weeks out of the year brought their son down to help with some yardwork. I noticed him working, but thought nothing of it. Soon he waved me down, below is the conversation that followed (roughly).

Him: Hey there, you live in that house?
Me: Yep.
H: Really? How long you been there?
M: Ummm,....5 years I guess.
H: I'm amazed you don't have one of those riding mowers.
M: We thought about getting one but they're so expensive, and this is good exercise.
H: Do you normally mow?
M: Yep.
H: Oh,..see? That's how it is, they make you mow so of course they don't get the riding mower.

Now at this point, it's clear to me he thinks I'm the daughter of the household. This has happened before, and usually works itself out.

H: Are you a runner? You look like one.
M: Not really, I used to run a lot though.
H: Are you in school?
M: Nope, graduated.
H: Nice. So what's going on?

Ok, so first he thinks I'm the kid of the house, now he thinks I'm still in school? At this point I was wondering if he thought I was in college or high school! Shame on me, I didn't let on that I am in fact 31 years old, have a college degree, a husband and a daughter. I just plugged my headphones back in (after we finished discussing the stresses of summer yardwork in PA) and continued on my way, happy that I can still pull off school age looks!

2 comments:

Joanna Davis said...

hahah! my kids at school think i'm a teenager. i nod and go with it :)

Zachary said...

That is a great compliment, though! You look fabulously young! ;-)

Post a Comment