Last night Audrey and I headed north to Camp Hill to have dinner with my friend Nicole, who is due in August. Nicole and I haven't had a chance to really talk since she became pregnant, so I was excited to get together and ask all those questions. Gender, name, nursery colors etc, you know the drill. After we got all of those out of the way, she started asking me questions, which was great! Everything James and I went through a year ago can now be put to use by our good friends, yay! She asked about carseats and cribs and changing tables. She mentioned they had visited Babies 'R' Us this past weekend. If you recall, that exact trip is what put James and I into information overload and "analysis paralysis". Luckily, it sounds as if Nicole is doing a bit better than we did! We discussed how having a child changes your view on everything. For example, holidays bring on an entire new level of excitement. We delved into somewhat "deep" questions about raising children. Dinner was fun, Audrey behaved, and as always, it was great to see Nicole. How nice to be able to answer someone's questions about being a mother.
Then this morning hit. As I was getting Audrey dressed, it crossed my mind that I still have questions about being a mom (don't we all though?). But I realized my questions are on a different level than Nicole's at this point in our respective lives. She's thinking of safety and how to raise a moral child, eating well while pregnant and finding a good daycare (if they go that route). Her questions are valid and...well...in the good-realm. As I tried to pull overalls onto my now squirming, flailing, laughing daughter, I'm thinking, "did I just give Audrey a diaper wedgie? Is that possible?" Another common question around these parts is, "Is that poo from the apples or rice? Wow!" My my, how questions change with time. My questions seem to hover around the gross-realm.
16 hours ago

4 comments:
hi suz,
Yes! I for one am still reading your blogs, and I enjoy them too. You wrote about giving advice to a mother- to- be...well since my friends are all having babies now I know the talk. I mean the baby-thing-talk.
Thanks to your blog I can actually take part in these talks, without having a kid of my own!
So keep up the good work and educate me ;-)
hug
Mirjam
The most common question in my household at the moment is: "How can he totally ignore me, when I am looking right at him and saying NO!?!?!"
Hah! I totally get Rachel's comment...we have that, too! No appears to translate into toddler speak as, 'Please feel free to go ahead and continue doing that dangerous/offensive/naughty activity that you are doing.'
FYI - I do not have any ongoing questions about being a mother.
Post a Comment