Pages

Apr 30, 2009

Just like Martha!

Being a stay-at-home-mom is quite an experience. I find myself trying to do things "on the cheap". Not that I spent like crazy before, but now that I essentially contribute $0 to the family, I feel much more compelled to stretch the dollar. Recently a friend asked for my Mom's rice-a-roni recipe that I was bragging about. I felt so Martha-esque, especially when I told her that she could use her left-over ramen noodle flavor packets in it if she wanted. Yes,..I have leftover ramen noodle flavor packets. Don't ask.

Well, then this morning, I had the tv on as I was piddling around the house and Martha's show happened to come on. Today's topic? Baby showers! She mentioned they'd be highlighting her staff's favorite "mom picks", so I left the tube on so I could possibly catch them. Well, lo and behold, many of the "mom picks" are things that were given to me/us at various stages of pregnancy and post-pregnancy.

First, the California Baby Shampoo that I got from my dear friend Cara, who just so happens to live in California. You can purchase this stuff outside of the Sunshine State. We're using it now, and love it. Thanks, Cara! Betcha didn't know your gift would be on Martha!


Second, Sophie the Giraffe. Sophie has made an appearance on my blog before. Since then, she has truly become a favorite of Audrey. James and I laugh at how Audrey chews and rubs on Sophie, creating a squeaking noise with her gums rubbing on poor Sophie's face/ears/legs/tail.




Lastly, the Beaba Babycook, from James' parents. What a great babyfood maker!! We've used it a lot and have been having fun with it. Now, we just need to find more babyfood containers. I went to Babies R Us the other day and after wandering up and down the "feeding" aisles, I finally opted to inquire and the following conversation ensued:
Me: Hi, do you know if you have babyfood containers?
BRU Employee: What?
Me: Umm, like little tupperware containers for babyfood.
BRU: What do you want those for?
Me: To freeze babyfood in.
BRU: You're freezing babyfood? (this said while looking at me as if a 3rd eye just erupted from my forehead).
Me: Yes, I make it then want to freeze some.
BRU: Umm,....uhhhhh,...well...maybe down there (vaguely waving her arm towards the "feeding" aisle).
Me: I already looked down there, it's ok, thanks anyway.

As I walked away, I could feel her expression burning into the back of me,...an expression that said, "that lady must be nuts!"
Anyway, thanks again to everyone who gave us such wonderful (and apparently Martha-worthy) gifts!

2 comments:

The Moores said...

regular old ice cube trays work well, and then when food is frozen dump the cubes into a ziploc. Then if you need to transport just stick into any old bowl with a lid. I got nervous about reheating the plastic tubs over and over to thaw...
My favorite baby food containers came from Ireland, but TT brand is sometime seen in the US as Nuby
:http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/catalogue/c13/c176/p1371

These look OK, but I don't know why you need the tray?http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=12598

And these are a classic and very good. We still use them whn we're on the go for snacks. http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=5871&cm_sp=shopping_cart-_-io-_-12598
The disposable ones are fine, and I use them for grown up stuff, too. I think I've only had to get rid of one b/c it cracked when it fell out of the freezer.
And none of them came from BRUS ;)

Erin said...

We used avent cups and lids (I had them leftover from pumping)- stupidly, the lids are sold separately from the cups and were pricey as I recall (the cups were cheap though). Anyway, the cups/lids are still part of our "feeding system" with Wynne- whenever we have leftovers from our meal, we save a couple portions in the freezer for her. Then she has them for lunch or when we have non toddler friendly food for dinner.

Post a Comment