Pages

Jan 19, 2011

Springetts Firestation, Ladder 16

Ahhh, the joys of being a SAHM. My "to do" list today included two things. First, join Audrey and about 15 other toddlers at a tour of our local firestation. Fun! Second, get the car inspected. Not so fun.

I've managed to find a group of moms who try to do something each Wednesday. In the summer it's parks and ice cream. Winter it's libraries, lunches and now firestations! At breakfast I mentioned the day's plan and Audrey was so excited, and immediately figured out what was happening, since it's similar to a Curious George book we have where George tours his fire station. All through breakfast she was saying, "try on hat?" since in the book, George gets to try on a firefighter's hat.

We met at the station, and I was shocked at just how many kiddos showed up. I'd guess about fifteen 2-3 year olds. Lucky man who pulled the Wednesday morning shift....lucky you Firefighter Rick!



Audrey and Luc, patiently waiting

They had the giggles.
Firefighter Rick, if I had to wager, as probably done this tour before. He was great with the kiddos, even the more hesitant ones. He showed them all the "toys" in the truck and welcomed touching. It's always nice to be somewhere that allows toddlers to be toddlers.


Firefighter Rick showing off his gear.
Firefighter Grant, also quite friendly, demonstrated how they put all their gear on, up to and including the SCBA,...the air tank and mask. He turned on the air so the kids could hear how he sounded when he breathed (think Darth Vader). It was a smart demonstration, showing the kids that firefighters, although funny looking, are not scary, and are just people who help us out. Audrey wasn't too excited to go touch the firefighter like others did, but she was taking it all in.
Firefighter Grant demonstrating how firefighters are people and not scary!

After the fire part was over, leave it to toddlers to find something else. The plow on the station's snow truck was morphed into a 7-person drum! Audrey jumped right in this time. She's in the red pants.

The station's snow truck...err, drum.

Firefighter Rick gave each child a fire helmet and a coloring book. Major points in Audrey's world, and she enthusiastically thanked everyone, including other kiddos.

Her hat, just like George!


P.S. Yes, the car is inspected. Yes, it passed.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, after seeing this I decided it was a GREAT idea and suggested it to a mom's group out here that I belong to. I was asking if there is any interest, and if so I would set it up. NOTHING! NADA! DENIED! I even had a former Fire-person mom tell me that they are not so hip on giving tours. LAME. Too bad, I will gather some of my cool friends to go with us. Nanny-nanny Boo-boo! (Childish? Sorry.)
BTW- This is from Amy in CO. I don't have any of these accounts to use a real name, so I had to be Anonymous. More mysterious that way anyway! ;)

Post a Comment