When my mom was here over Christmas, she did us a huge favor and bought a full-size freezer to adorn our basement. PA has great produce and meats, so a freezer would let us take advantage. Remember the peach festival when we came home with 35 pounds of peaches? The freezer would have been a huge help then!
A few weeks ago we ordered a quarter of a cow (ok,...so it's not a whole cow, but saying "There's a Quarter of a Cow in the Basement" sounds really creepy). I picked it up today, as shown above. It was stored in the truck (I didn't buy it out of a truck!) Were excited to have it, figuring we don't have to buy beef for at least a year. The whole experience was....umm,...quaint? Can visiting a butcher be quaint? He took our oder in a composition notebook in pencil, asking how we wanted it packaged. He called a few days ago to set up a pick-up time, to make sure the meat stayed frozen as much as possible. When we picked it up today, he showed me the bill, complete with the math done by hand! Yup, good old fashioned multiplication by hand. I felt great as I drove away. I felt infinitely better than if I had purchased an equivalent amount of meat from Sam's, Costco, or even the local grocery store. Cheers for old-school butchers!!
A list of the loot:
- 43 1.5 pound packages of ground beef
- 16 pairs of del monico steaks
- 11 2 or 2.5 pound chuck roasts
- 4 packages of short ribs
- 3 briskets
- 2 packages of soup bones

2 comments:
holy cow!! wow!
Every year for Christmas, my parents fill our chest freezer full of meat! I love it. Not having to worry about hitting up the meat department every shopping trip is such a relief. It's always the highest part of the bill!! Enjoy that fabulous quarter cow.
Post a Comment