Pages

Mar 27, 2010

Tidbits for Audrey

This post is mostly for Audrey, for when she's old enough to read, understand, and see the humor in my writing. Just a few little tidbits about her life at this moment in time.

Audrey and I are becoming regulars at my gym. Going to the gym was to serve two purposes. One, so I can exercise and have a bit of "Suz Time". Two, so she can get used to being away from me and used to other children. It was a struggle at first, admittedly for both of us. After some stick-to-it-iveness, we've both adjusted quite well and I think one of two of us actually looks forward to the gym each day we go. The other day I went to pick her up from the day care, and Miss Pat told me that Allen (2 yrs) has a crush on Audrey, and had been giving her hug after hug after hug. He enthusiastically waved and followed us to the door as we left. The very next day, I went to pick her up and Miss Pat said, "I don't know what your daughter has, but you're going to need to put up some fences or something. All the boys flock to her!" Apparently another boy (4 yrs) had hovered around Audrey, giving her all his toys to play with. And so it begins....

We also frequent story time at our little local library. I say little because the library is literally in a tiny trailer. It's cute, and quaint, and friendly, and they always have a big jar of animal crackers for the kiddos. Yesterday we went and Audrey got really squirmy a few minutes into it, obviously not wanting to be in my lap. So I just let go of her, and she made her way front and center, smack dab right infront of Miss Lisa (the librarian). From then on she was enthralled with the stories, which were all about trucks. It felt good that she wasn't clinging to me like she has done in the past.

Lastly, James is away for work. How aware she is, she must know he is gone, right? She acts mostly the same, except for the blessed naptime. The nap strike is back. She's tired, rubs her eyes, puts her hands in prayer position next to her head like she's sleepy. So me, being the observant and sympathetic mother I am, kindly take her up to her crib, close the curtains, give her a kiss and gently lay her down. I shut the door, and hear not silence, but squeals of joy. What?? I ignore it, thinking surely she'll go to sleep soon. After 15 min, I peak in. I see Miss Audrey sitting on her Fisher Price aquarium/music box that is strapped to the slats on her crib. She then flings her stuffed animals and blankets to the far end of the crib, then flings herself onto her mattress. Then the toys are all collected, and repeat. Oh my. And yes, she does eventually go to sleep, but it takes a good 30-45 min of flinging to get there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment