Pages

Feb 22, 2010

Definition of Sand

I have an advantage when it comes to some things geological. I happen to have a degree in geophysical engineering. If you'd like a description of just what that is, call me. But in getting that degree, I had to take a few geology courses, which actually were some of my favorites. In geology, one sometimes pays attention to grain size (the size of grains of sand, duh!). Handy dandy grain-size charts are available, to help determine what size of grain you have (clay, sand, pebble, cobble, gravel etc).

After what feels like weeks of being snowed it, it was finally warm enough and I got brave enough to take Audrey and Mica out for a real walk. During this walk, I was noticing the "sand' that our road crews recently sprinkled (eerrr, cough cough DUMPED) on our streets. As I walked past one particularly large pile, I noticed how large this "sand" was. So, in the never-ending quest for blog-worthy topics, I picked up a few grains, tucked them into my pocket and continued on. Back home, I dug out my Sedimentary Geology book from my 3rd year in college, flipped it open to the grain size chart, and sure enough, this is NOT sand. Most of it is clearly pebbles, some even approaching...shall I dare say it....cobbles!

And so it goes, as spring approaches, surely the windshield replacement businesses will be happy with this winter's "sanding".



Photo courtesy of "Sedimentary Geology" by Prothero and Schwab


As for me, I will just continue smiling to myself, knowing it's not sand.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

This post cracks me up!! We are such nerds, and I don't know about Audrey, but Ireland has no hope of becoming any less nerdy than his parents!!

Anonymous said...

Oooh...wait till you have to mow your lawn for the first time this spring/summer and pebbles and cobblestones will be flying when you get to the grass near the road!!

Joanna Davis said...

besides aud's boyfriend living here, this is definitely another reason to move SOUTH!

Post a Comment