Pages

Oct 6, 2012

CSA Joys

Peppers and Eggplants
 
CSA:  Community Supported Agriculture.
 
We joined a CSA last year (2011 season) thanks to a friend of ours, a bachelor who wasn't sure he could use an entire share by himself.  So thus began a new adventure in culture, food, flora and fauna.  I don't know if I blogged about this last summer; I probably did, but I'll do it again anyway, partially because I'm not feeling like looking back through posts, and partially because I truly enjoy "the farm".  We pay in February, and we get a weekly share of whatever the farm happens to produce.  The season is roughly June through October.  We go on Fridays to the farm to get our share.  It's a family farm, run by an amazing couple, their two young sons, and fittingly, some cats and chickens.  There's a sandbox in the driveway, loads of sidewalk chalk, a swingset, and a rope swing.  Last summer Audrey and I would spend a minimum of an hour there.  Unfortunately our "farm time" this year is less, but we still love it.
 
 
For me, it feels good to get out of town.  York isn't a huge city, and we actually live  away from the "city", but the farm feels good.  Black walnuts litter the ground, chickens roam (often with kids chasing), cats purr, and people get dirty.  It's real life, away from Target and Starbucks and clean shoes.  Whether or not the CSA is economic, or whether or not we eat all the food we get from it, I think the experience, exposure and memories it will provide Audrey is well worth the cost (especially if our friend continues to pay half the share!!).

 Veggies vary.  Last year we had squash and tomatoes forever.  This year it's potatoes, beans and kale.  Fresh herbs and the best garlic I've ever had are definite perks. 
 
 
 

 




This year I'm doing a much better job of taking advantage of pick-your-own flowers.  Weekly flowers for free??  Yes please.  It's the final part of our weekly visit, and I think Audrey has grown to enjoy helping pick out the beauties that will adorn our table for the next 7 days.
Flowers in the field.
 
Marigold sniffs
Today, as I navigated the rows of flowers, listening to Audrey's narrative about which flowers smell best, and which colors we should pick, and hearing her thank the honeybees for drinking nectar and making honey,  I nearly walked right into this guy (or gal).  Glad I didn't.
 
Hello Mr(s). Spider.....
 
 
Floral Loot!
 Today we came home with various types of eggplant, peppers, beautiful sweet potatoes, green beans, cilantro, garlic, salad mix, broccoli and cauliflower.  And of course a gorgeous selection of cosmos, marigolds and zinnias. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment