Pages

Oct 17, 2012

Half the Sky

I recently watched a two-part PBS special that I think we should all watch.  It's about the oppression of women and girls all around the world, and covers a wide range of countries and ways they are physically and emotionally abused.  You can find the website here:  Half the Sky .  You can read about it, buy the book, and watch the special.  Do it, I urge you.  I am reading the book next to expand my awareness, and I plan on contributing to one of the featured NGO's. 

It struck home with me since I have a daughter who is beautiful, spunky, and full of amazing potential. Tears flowed as I watched what happens to girls and women, ages 2 months to adult, all around the world.  Some comes from people just being awful to fellow human beings, some comes from "tradition", some certainly from ignorance.  All of these can change, it just takes effort and strong people.

Last night, Audrey had ballet.  At the end of class, they have a few minutes where they can put on dress-up items (extra-poofy tutus, fairy wings etc) and they have free time to dance any way they want.  The teacher played "This One's For The Girls", by Martina McBride.



As I watched 13 free-spirited young girls dance with no reservation, no expectation, and sheer joy, I smiled.  I can't understand how anyone could take one of those girls and hurt them.  But I understand that I can help.  I can help, so hopefully one more mother in this world can provide safety for her daughter like I can, so that mother can have her heart filled with joy on a daily basis like I do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment