Pages

Oct 30, 2012

Shiny Shoes

Tomorrow is picture day at Audrey's school. It's the first one that she is around for and isn't in tears about when we mention it. It dawned on me as I picked her up this evening, a mere 13 hours prior to the session that she really has no "picture outfit". What do most parents do in this situation? Rummage through the closet, hoping that magically, mysteriously, amazingly, some picture-worthy piece of clothing has appeared? Something they purchased seasons ago, something handed down from a friend.... Do they make do with an Elmo shirt, acknowledging that it's just a daycare picture and really doesn't make that much difference? I don't know. There's no handbook. So I opted to take my daughter shopping. Yep. Voluntarily, shopping with a nearly 4 year old. We ended up with picture clothes, a Christmas dress, and shiny black shoes.

We have arrived at another milestone. The Dress Shoe. I felt a twinge of sadness, just tiny, that Audrey is no longer my baby or toddler. But mostly I felt proud and happy, pleased with the child she is and is becoming. I also felt like my mother, recalling the times when she bought "girly" clothes for me. Even though I'd consider myself somewhat of a tomboy, there was always something special about those purchases. A little thing between mother and daughter, like a secret for girls only. My mom always made me feel more grown-up than I probably was, and I relished it. It was one of those childhood memories and feelings that I pray I can provide to Audrey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment