Pages

Nov 30, 2009

One of Those Moments

I've been a mother for almost 13 months. Some would argue I've been a mother for almost 22 months. Either way, it's been a while. Most days I'm used to it, and comfy being a Mom. It doesn't phase me anymore--the random crying, the vomit, the smells and consistencies only parents are familiar with. But I do still have "moments" where it hits me that I am a MOTHER!! These moments come with no warning, and usually when least expected. I had one such moment earlier this morning.

We purchased a fake Christmas tree, to help James' allergies. We put it up yesterday, and it shed some "needles". So this morning I hauled out the vacuum. Now, Audrey still isn't sure about the vacuum. I think she's learning from our dog, and is afraid of it. Maybe it hurts their/her ears? This vacuuming session was going to be quick, so I just picked Audrey up and started going, thinking that if I was holding her, she'd be ok. Afterall, everything is ok if Mom is holding you, right? Sure enough, she was fine. She wasn't having fun, but she wasn't crying or trying to escape. Then BOOM, that darned moment hit me. There I was, vacuuming with one arm while holding my squirming toddler in the other. All I needed was a phone under one ear and the mailman ringing the doorbell, plus something boiling over on the stove to make it complete! Ha ha, it was just funny. Maybe because of how Hollywood has portrayed stay-at-home mothers as the ultimate multi-taskers. Or wait....that's not Hollywood alone, we are ultimate multi-taskers!

Needless to say, I finished the mini-cleaning session, put the tree skirt down, and decided that's enough Christmas decorating for the day. Afterall, it's not even December yet!

1 comments:

Joanna Davis said...

oh SOOOOO true! i've caught myself doing this on many occasions. love those clingers!

have you perfected the art of picking things up with your toes?!

Post a Comment