Today Audrey and I went down the hill to the closest grocery store to acquire more veggies to become babyfood. This particular store has grocery carts with little infant seats permanently attached...which is nice when you no longer wish to haul the carseat in, but your child isn't quite ready to sit in a normal cart. So I strapped her in and proceeded to push my full-sized cart around the store for a mere 4 items. No big deal, since the clientele at Food Lion on the 3rd Tuesday of May at 10:43 a.m. is rather sparse. I collected my items (parsnips, zucchini and some rolls for dinner), then decided to browse the baby aisle. Realizing I've been down and up that same exact aisle at least 20 times in the last few months, I was skeptical that I'd find anything new or of interest. I noticed babyfood was on sale, and did a super-quick whiz-kid mathematical calculation, and decided that making peaches for Audrey from frozen peaches really isn't cost-effective. So as I put a few containers of peaches in my cart, a little old lady (is that mean? It's not meant to be, and it's actually a very accurate description in this case) approached us. She was so cute...someone you'd want to have as a grandmother. From now on she will be referred to as "Grandma One". As she passed the sippy cups and bottles, she saw Audrey and gasped. I thought, "Oh no, Audrey puked all over the grocery cart...." I looked, and Audrey was flashing her best toothless smile at Grandma One. I may be biased, but it was pretty adorable. So Grandma One came up to Audrey and said hi and probably many other things, but I was seizing this opportunity to continue browsing the babyfood selection. A few seconds later, Grandma One tapped me on the arm and said, "Can you just stay here for a bit? I have to find Grandpa". Yes,... she called him Grandpa. I agreed to stay put. She slowly made her way out of the baby aisle and I heard, "Grandpa,...GRANDPA? WHERE ARE YOU?" echoing across the store. A few minutes later, Grandma One rounds the corner, Grandpa in tow. They both oohed and aahed, smitten with my daughter. I was still looking at babyfood, smiling to myself. We all said our farewells, and I soon made my way to checkout. Another lady (referred to as Grandma Two) was checking out in front of me, and soon Grandma One and Grandpa (the originals) were behind me. Grandma One told Grandma Two she just had to come around and see Audrey. So Grandma Two did...and immediatly started tickling Audrey's feet. Cue Grandma One's wrath. "DO NOT tickle her feetsies! She'll stutter!!" What? Is that some old-wive's tale? Grandma One went on and on about you can "play piggies" with the toes, but do NOT tickle the feet or she'll stutter. Hmmm,...anyone know anything about this?
I think that trip took me nearly 45 minutes. Keep in mind the grocery store is one mile away, and I ended up with 5 items. Ahhh....you just have to love small towns and friendly people.
16 hours ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment