Pages

Apr 1, 2011

Hi Audrey's Mommy

Are you a dog owner, either with or without children (you, not the dog)? If so, you know all about the strange name/no name phenomenon that occurs as part of this demographic. You get to know the names of all the dogs, but not their owners. I recall in Texas, coming home from a run or walk with Mica (back when she could run for miles and miles), and I'd report that I saw "Gingi's mom" or "Smuckers' dad" etc. We laughed at this then... Now it has moved to the next level. Today was the first day of a new "semester", so Audrey and I were wearing nametags. I don't think I was supposed to, but I slapped one on my stomach that simply said, "Suz". As Audrey and I were putting on our shoes after music class, I heard, "Hi Audrey's Mommy". I turned my head to see another mom from the class. We've been seeing each other once a week now for almost three months and had yet to learn each other's names. I know the names of her two gorgeous daughters, and could probably tell you what each one wore the two previous Fridays. I could almost guess their birthdays too,....but the mom's name? No clue. "Hi Audrey's Mommy,...I never knew your name until today! It's like when you have a dog..." At this point I just chuckled and introduced myself, as did she. It'll be nice to go in there next week and actually know even one name of a someone over the age of 4.

0 comments:

Post a Comment