A few tidbits while the sun sets on a glorious Sunday evening here in PA.
1) A local news station has an ad on the radio currently about how South Central PA is the "convenience capital of the world". I get a kick out of it every time I hear it. It mentions how convenient the turnpike is, how it's convenient to have 4 NFL teams to choose from (Ravens, Eagles, Steelers and Redskins I suppose), how between Hanover and Hershey enough individually wrapped convenience foods are produced to keep Weight Watchers in business, how it's convenient to be on a corner and see a Rite-Aid, a Walgreens and a CVS within a block of each other. But my favorite is how Pennsylvania is the only state so convenient, we can reliably use only two letters to name our state: PA. How true, since when James and I decided to move here, I recall thinking to myself, "York PA,....sounds like a place that could be home." PA. Yep, simple, convenient, PA.
2) Big news on the locomotion front. Audrey is finally starting to stand on her own and *gasp* take a few independent steps. She doesn't like either, but can if adequate distraction is provided. Case in point, yesterday. We went to the local bookstore for Elmo's Birthday Party. As you can imagine, this was quite a spectacle, filled with frantic Elmo fans ranging in age from newborn to roughly 8 years old. Accompanying this flock of wee ones were the appropriate caretakers, mostly frazzled looking moms and grandmothers. I could tell many of their mornings were filled with impatient Elmoniacs (my word for Elmo-maniacs) anxious to go see Elmo. Much to the caretakers dismay, the first "event" at this party was the prompt distribution of cake and chocolate milk. Chocolate milk. Audrey's first, and thankfully she wasn't very enthusiastic about it. Next came singing "Happy Birthday" for the first of four times. Turns out Elmo just turned three. James turned to me and said, "Funny, I'm pretty sure Elmo has been around longer than that." We decided Monster years must be longer than human years. Anyway,...there was SO much going on, we just stood Audrey up and let go and what do you know, she just STOOD there. STOOD, solid and confident, like a "real kid". It was exciting, then she took some steps. I think she was headed over to steal the baby Elmo from the unaware girl next to us. Unfortunately she stumbled and we caught her, but the point is, she was DOING it, on her own! Yay! So, again, faithful readers, keep your eyes out for a posting about walking. :)
3) The Olympics. We've been watching here and there, everything from moguls to downhill to luge (heartbreaking this year) and even some ice dancing. The point is, I'm old. Or maybe I'm just more responsible. Or maybe it's personal experience having had a major bone breaking experience. Or maybe it's being a parent and no longer being able to put yourself first. But I'll tell you what, I watch those skiers (does that have two i's?) going down that mountain at 80 or 90 miles and hour and I don't see their slick suits, or the hi-tech skis. Nope, I see wrecks and broken bones. Not just a simple broken bone, but compound, bones-sticking-out-of-the-skin breaks. It's not a pretty sight, but it made me realize that I'm old. But you know what? I'm ok with that right now, because my daughter is beautiful and funny and not even close to skiing (does that have two i's?)yet.
Hoping you all had a grand weekend!
16 hours ago

1 comments:
go aud go!
Post a Comment