Pages

Sep 19, 2012

Ramblings to Crickets

I have no stories to tell as I sit here tonight, so let's see what gets tapped out on this keyboard .  No big event recently happened, my life is chugging along its track, which happens to be pretty smooth right now.  I feel like I have a lot to say, but for now, I'm enjoying a clean kitchen floor (bye bye chicken feathers and Alabama Slammers), a cool glass of ice water, and the sounds of a) crickets and b) Audrey sleeping.  It's 8:15pm, what is often my favorite time of the day.
 
Recently, I returned to work full-time, taking on more responsibility.  Did I blog about this?  Funny that I can't remember.  James and I discussed at length the pros and cons of me re-commencing the daily commute to Hershey, although I think we both knew from the start that I'd do it.  It was a great opportunity that came at a rather significant time in our lives.  It has been about 2.5 months since I returned, and I think we've finally settled into our groove.  Ok, maybe it's not a smooth groove all the time, but a groove, it is.  And it's our groove.
 
This evening while Audrey played Synchronized Swimmer in the tub (picture her on her back, legs in air flailing, toes pointed, blonde locks aswirl), I was scrolling through all the pictures James has taken over the last few months.  Some brought back memories, some made me chuckle, but there was one that struck me as a perfect illustration of our lives right now.  It's this one. 
 

 
Now, by no means do I say that we are always performing some bizarre and amazing physical feat, such as above.  But it's perfect, minus the fact James isn't in the picture since he's taking it.  He should be standing on his hands or something.  It fits, because it's a little blurry, things move quickly around here.  I'm constantly seeing Audrey from new points of view (ha ha).  We're all together, having fun with simple things, usually in some pretty wild clothes.  Mica is there too.  And yes, there are usually shoes.  Everywhere.
 

Stylin'
I miss her.  I miss days with Audrey dearly, and value the time I do get with her.  It sounds cliche, and it's been said over and over, but experiencing things with her is amazing, possibly more fun than the first time when I was a child.  Bubbles.  Sidewalk chalk.  Finding a leaf that is half green, half purple, and deciding it needs to go in with her other "specials".  Watching her turn from toddler to kid has been a wild ride, and I'm glad we've arrived.  She thinks, compares, sorts, draws, writes her name and makes mental leaps.  She is COOL.  Yep, my kid?  She's cool.  You have to be pretty awesome to pull off tie-dye and 3D-chalk glasses on a regular basis.

Dancing
 As she grows, she's turning into a girl.  Eek.  Sometimes I feel like I'd have been a better mother to a boy, since I generally like dirt and rocks more than tulle and flowers.  I was actually pretty sure it was boy while still pregnant.  So much for that.....But I'm coming to terms with the girl thing, and starting to enjoy it. She does ballet, likes purple, and picks her princess undies first every time (and often asks why I don't have princess undies). She has one good friend, and they are inseperable at school.  Audrey is a head taller, but Amelia's hair is 3x as long.  Rumor is, at school, if one has to go to the bathroom, the other goes too.  And so it begins.....

Aud and Amelia

Amelia, Simba, and Audrey

Nothing but giggles

Swinging
 I'm so glad she has Amelia, that she has someone (I hope) she remembers as being that first good friend.  I'm still in contact with my first best friend; we met when we were 4 at playgroup at my church. I remember Heather in a sunshine-yellow dress with long brown hair, curls at the ends.  We were inseperable for years.  We giggled all night at each other's houses, we were the same thing year after year for Halloween, and we pushed each other to be better.   There's something steady and solid about knowing someone since you were three or four, to go through so many stages of life with a dear friend.  Here's to you, Heather and Amelia!

To compliment the blossoming friendship with Amelia, I'm starting to work on more independence.  How?  Hiking!!  A few weekends ago, I asked Audrey if she'd rather hike hills or flat.  She said flat.  We went four miles.  FOUR.  I think that's pretty good for her, and she walked the entire way.  And she carried her own snacks.  Granted, the four miles took us three hours and nearly cost James is sanity, but hey, we did it.  She wanted to see a tunnel, which is 2 miles down the rail trail from where we parked.  I explained the whole "there and back" concept to her, and she was set on getting to that tunnel.  That's my girl!
Shirt:  "Moo, I'm a goat"

Tie Dye by Audrey

PA is gorgeous
I regularly get asked if I'm glad I went back to work.  Yes, I am. Life is hectic, and sometimes I do feel like I'm juggling a lot of things.  I love it though.   My job challenges me just enough, and when it doesn't, Audrey steps in and does it.  She is thriving at school, learning new things every day.    Audrey is a miracle, and beautiful, and this perfect wild-haired combo of James and me. 
Chocolate eyes

Dr. Audrey

After dinner snuggle


They laughed, and asked for more.
PA is an amazing place to live, and I am so, so thankful we moved here. I've met friends who I know will be key players throughout the rest of my life, and hopefully Audrey's, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment