The last and (sadly) final stop of my ship was on Magdalena Island in the Strait of Magellan to see the penguins discovered by, and thus named after the area's famous explorer. You know....Magellan. Our Zodiac departure was pre-breakfast. After our other awesome (in the true sense of the word) excursions, I wasn't sure the little swimming birds would be very exciting. And to me, they weren't. Honestly neat to see, but I personally didn't linger long.
Magellanic Penguins on Magdalena Island, Chile
At one point I glanced back to my ship. For those of you who grew up in a landlocked state, you may understand the calm, simple beauty I see on/in the ocean. The freedom of water, the sounds of waves and seagulls, an unobstructed horizon.

My ship, fishing boat, sunrise.
These penguins live in burrows underground. They mate with the same partner year after year. THe males return to the same burrow year after year, and the females find their mates basted on call alone. Impressive, isn't it?
On my way back to the Zodiacs (I was on the first one back) I caught this. Looked funny, like a professor (seagull) and students (penguins). Wonder what the lesson of the day was?
I headed back, had a long hot shower, clean clothes, packed my suitcase to prepare for disembarkation (boo hoo), then enjoyed breakfast with mom. Not as gorgeous as the other days, but still a pretty great morning.

0 comments:
Post a Comment