Pages

Mar 9, 2012

Buenos Aires, Feb 18-20

I am lucky and blessed to have a mother like I do. People were surprised that I'd go on a trip with my mom,....for 2.5 weeks.....alone. Of course I would! Mom and I have always had a great relationship, and I am thankful that it only improves with time. Off we went to Patagonia for a few weeks, with a quick stop in Buenos Aires, Argentina on the way.


Plaza in Buenos Aires

A huge part of our trip turned out to be food and drinks. I took so many food and drink pictures, I'm debating doing an entire entry on food alone. We shall see. We enjoyed trying new things, and also sticking to some favorites when we could find them.
Our pre-dinner drink at our hotel.
First dinner (smoked salmon appetizer, filet mignon, and undoubtedly some amazing dessert)

In Buenos Aires, we spent part of a rainy morning in Recoleta Cemetery, a famous place filled with large tombs/graves/mausoleums. We never could figure out exactly what they officially should be called. Large, elaborate rooms, generally for one coffin. Some were shiny marble, gorgeous, and some were clearly older and starting to see some wear. This was our first full day in South America, and how I was wishing James could have been with us. He could have spent hours and hours in here taking amazing, artisitic photos. I couldn't do it justice.
Recoleta Cemetery

Recoleta Cemetery
A day in Boca, home of the Tango!
We loved all the colors.
Posing with a Boca Junior, the local soccer team. Boca!!!
Teatro Colon, one of the most acoustically perfect opera houses in the world.
Our last day in BA, we had time on our own. Mom and I opted to return to Boca, the bright, lively, colorful area of the city. During our first visit, we had spotted what we thought looked like a great place for lunch, and were anxious to return. It was an outdoor cafe, with racks of ribs cooking over coals and large grills covered in meats of every possible kind. We sat down in the courtyard under a colorful canopy of umbrellas, enjoyed a soft breeze, live guitar music, and had a leisurly lunch. Perfection.
Lunch!!
Now THAT's a beer.
Mom treated to dinner, at "The" steak restaurant in BA. What an absolutely stellar dinner. The wine list came first and was completely overwhelming. I must have looked lost, because soon a very nice man came and helped me choose a wine. Ok....he pretty much chose it. It was fantastic.
And THAT's a wine list. Look how thick it is!
After a fun (and humid and hot) 2.5 days in Buenos Aires, we were ready to head south to Patagonia, our true destination!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment