SCPA, not SPCA. South Central PA. Land of eternal corn fields, chicken farms and partially dilapidated barns.
Last night I went to a friend's house for our bookclub meeting. I'd never been there, but was familiar with the area (think corn fields with a few small developments scattered around) and drove there with no wrong turns. Fast forward many hours, a few desserts and lots of laughs.
It's dark. I head home and soon realize I am NOT on the right road. How could this have happened, when I literally only had to make one turn!?!? Argh. I am not concerned, as I am generally pretty good with geography and cardinal directions....plus there were road signs. I'll just keep my eye out for a familiar road....
WAIT. PA is not only the land of corn, chicken and barns, but the land of inconsistent road names. You travel 1 or 1/2 or even 1/4 mile and the road name can easily change 1, 2, or 3 times! Clearly road names won't help.
WAIT!! I see a chicken farm, I know I've seen that chicken farm before. Yep, I know exactly where I am. Phew! If I turn left at the farm, I'll end up .....
Nope. Wasn't 'my' chicken farm. Clearly chicken farms won't work in navigating sunless SCPA.
WAIT! This corn field looks familiar. Ok wait,...no way does a cornfield look familar, what am I thinking?!!?!?
So at this point I decided that SCPA, although tricky, isn't huge, and if I just stay on this road, I'll eventually end up somewhere familiar. I did.....eventually. I got home unscathed, and literally laughing out loud at myself.
15 hours ago

1 comments:
Yes, Lol. It happens, even to those of us who grew up on chicken farms.
Post a Comment