Every year during elementary school, or at least it seemed that way, my mom and one of her friends would take my best friend, Heather, and me to see The Nutcracker Ballet. This was a pretty big deal, as we had to drive 120 miles to see it, which included a mountain pass that can be pretty gnarly in the winter. Heather and I would be excited long before the big day. Shiny shoes and our fanciest clothes were worn, which (for me) at one point included a faux fur jacket. We were treated to a pre-ballet dinner at an oriental restaurant which alone was a huge treat. I still can remember the excitement as we walked in and saw the green marble fountain, the gorgeous oriental women, as we made our chicken sizzle on the poo-poo tray, and giggled over "umbrella drinks". Coming from such a small town, this big city experience made us feel extremely privileged. We weren't just lucky--we were special. I remember the cushy seats at the theater, the awe of the costumes, the goosebumps the orchestra provided me, and the magic that somehow made its way into our lives each time we saw The Nutcracker.
This year I decided I wanted to start this tradition with my daughter. She has the extra connection since she is taking ballet. I purchased tickets that would allow her to easily see the stage. We found a gorgeous Nutcracker book so she could be familiar with the story, and James found YouTube videos of portions of the ballet. Audrey picked out a new fancy dress to wear (she got many compliments), and yesterday we all (even Grammie!) headed to our local theater to see the show.
It's hard to explain adequately the emotions coursing through my mind and body as I watched my daughter. Joy radiated from her expressions, and she hardly moved for 90% of the show. At intermission, James asked if she had any questions, because that's the time to ask. She simply smiled and said, "can we watch it again?" The scene changes and costumes, the leaps and twirls, even the lights going down after intermission all created sheer, innocent joy in my child. During those moments, every tear, every tantrum, even every projectile vomit session faded away into a small blur. Looking at Audrey THAT happy made me tear up a little. She loved it and behaved beautifully.
Being a parent to her is amazing.
16 hours ago



0 comments:
Post a Comment